A real estate agents job is to sell real estate either as a listing agent or a buyers agent. They do not like people to take money out of their pocket. Agents think selling by owner is the dumbest thing you could do. But they love people that are selling for sale by owner at the same time. People selling FSBO are prime prospects because if they can’t sell on their own they will need an agent to help them.
Here are the reasons agents give as to why you should not sell your home on your own. But knowing these things can also help you sell your home faster.
- Real estate agents may not show your home to their buyers. As long as you are willing to pay a reasonable commission to a real estate agent that brings a buyer, this should not be a problem. If you are not willing to pay a commission, then the agents will most definitely not bring you a buyer.
- Agents don’t think you can keep your emotions out of the transaction. You are going to be emotional regardless of whether you are working with an agent or not. You need to remember that this is a business transaction.
- Agents think they have a better network to get your home sold. Phooey! 99% of people begin their search for a home to buy on the internet. If you work with a MLS listing service like Illinois For Sale By Owner, they will get your home in dozens and dozens of the most visited real estate websites. If your home is priced right, there should be no problem in attracting buyers.
- You will have to show your own house to perspective buyers. So what! The beauty of this is that you can schedule showings on your time. Plus, who better to show the home and talk about all the wonderful things it offers than you, the owner. Plus you can tell people all about your neighborhood, talk about the schools, talk about all the local amenities.
- Agents say the negotiation part is awkward. Look, if you have ever sold anything be it a car or stereo system on craigslist, you have negotiated. Negotiating the sale of your home is no different. You need to know what you need or want from the property. If the seller is being unreasonable or low balling stick to your guns.
- They will say it is not your job. That is a true statement. What I have to say about this is that being an real estate agent is not all that hard. If you want to educate yourself about selling your home on your own, there are many great books and courses that show you how to do it. The best part about that is these books and courses are very inexpensive and can usually be consumed within a night or two.
Ultimately it comes down to your comfort levels and the amount of time you have on whether or not you should sell your home on your own or hire an agent. But, what ever you do, don’t ask an agent if you should sell by owner. They are going to tell you that you should not do it and give you all kinds of horror stories.